I thought I’d stretch my developer legs and venture into the Linux forest from the green Windows pasture where I spend most of my time.
My First thoughts:
- Virtual Box is straight forward
- Good documentation and options of how to install Ubuntu. There’s even a Windows installer for dual-booting. I figured a VM is more convenient for poking around it.
- The Ubuntu installation is dated. It’s reminiscent of a Windows 3.1 install.
- Interesting. There’s an Ubuntu Software Center… similar to an App Store
- I forgot Linux Spaces. Sweet. Why doesn’t Windows have these?
- Took 2 seconds to install Chrome… 2 Minutes to find and run it.
Overall, it was an okay experience. There is definitely a lot to learn. Next up: Build a basic java application with Eclipse!